3 things to remember
- It’s about WHO you serve and WHY
- It has to be interesting
- It doesn’t have to be ‘100%’ correct.
In summary, it is not about you. It doesn’t have to be a perfect 30-second pitch. It is more about engaging the person you’re speaking with.
- No industry jargons,
- shorter the better,
- It pays to be interesting and engaging,
- Remember that you’re not giving someone a speech or a lecture.
[I] [since you’re the one introducing yourself]
[help] [or some form of the word “help”]
[who it is you help] [who you serve…your clients or customers]
[achieve a result] [what you help them do, achieve or become]
- I help people fall in love…with their brains.
- I help audiences see with words.
- I help speakers own their physicality.
- I help people tell their best story.
- I help authors bring their ideas to the world.
- I help people improve their health through better sleep.
- I help entrepreneurs fund their dreams.
- I help creatives fund their dreams.
- I help makers fund their dreams.
Change “help” to a different word
- I connect
- I teach
- I decode
- I build
- I produce
- I connect consumer health leaders.
- I teach people how powerful they can be.
- I decode personal stories.
- I decode human stories.
- I build better brains.
- I produce events people remember.
A second formula
I’m “X” for “Y”.
If I was working for Aldi (supermarket chain) I could say: “Aldi is like IKEA for your grocery.”
Have fun with it.
- I help people improve health through better sleep.
- I put people to sleep.
- I help people in the bedroom.
- I help blind people see.
- I’m a preacher man.
Why does it work?
- It’s intriguing (think of it as a headline…)
- Flexibility and Context (You have many talents. Now you have many intros.)
- It’s Unexpected + Lets Them Direct The Conversation
- Clarifies and Strengthens Your Personal Brand (Known as “The ____ Man/Woman.”) [What word to you want to own?]
- You Become Instantly Referable. (It helps everyone send you business.)
- Confidence = Credibility (Confidence is as important as the words.)
What someone might say:
- What do you mean?
- How do you do that?
Perfect. This is a tremendous opportunity because you can say let me tell you a story…